As per research, many Australians use bicycles for recreation and transport. So, whenever you head outside for a ride, you must ensure to wear the right type of gear. After all, having the proper combination of cycling clothing can make a massive difference in your riding experience. That’s not all; you must have the right bike tools to have a smooth ride. You can look for different types of cycling clothing and tools like the ones below.
What are the different types of cycling clothing?
The right cycling clothing can make you feel comfortable on all your rides. Read on and learn about the different types of cycling apparel.
- Cycling jerseys: Since the loose materials flapping in the wind can slow you down, cycling jerseys must fit you snuggly. It doesn’t mean that you must go down one size, but it must be form-fitting. You can also search for jerseys with back pockets to stash gel, energy bars, and other necessary items. If the jersey has no back pockets, it is not a cycling jersey and might not come in handy. Many jerseys come with zippers for proper ventilation. But if you want the best ventilation, you can look for full-length zippers rather than partial ones. Choosing long-sleeves or short-sleeves for jerseys entirely depends upon the weather.
- Cycling shorts: You can choose cycling shorts depending upon the outdoor temperatures. For instance, you can wear long shorts during winters and short ones during the summers. But make sure that they are neither too loose nor too tight and fit you like a glove. Shorts with elastic leg straps will ensure smooth pedalling and keep you dry for several hours.
- Cycling socks: In recent years, road cycling socks have gained importance. They are appropriate for all weather conditions. If you want to improve your blood flow, you can look for compression socks. These socks are also helpful for riders who suffer from swelling in the lower leg and varicose veins.
What are the different cycling tools required for cyclists?
It is important to maintain and repair your bike, even if you are a beginner or a master mechanic. So, you can read further and get to know about the essential cycling tools.
- Tire levers: An inevitable part of cycling is getting a flat tire. So, you must learn how to fix your tire with the help of tire levers. They are designed to remove and install tires without damaging anything in the process. Some of them are made out of plastic, while others are made out of steel. Every tire levers have a curved end for slipping under the tire’s lip. Depending upon the product or brand, it can either be fully squared or rounded.
- Multi-tools: Multi-tools can handle a wide variety of repairs, and the versatility of the tools can provide you with a good value. Due to the small size, you can easily fit it on your backpack or an on-bike saddle pack. A great multi-tool will have a flathead screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, and a chain tool. An adjustable wrench is extremely versatile and is mainly used for on-road repairs. You can attain these wrenches from the size range of 4 inches to 24 inches. A 4-inch wrench is used in some fancier and newer bikes, which comprise quick-release wheels. Plus, they utilise Allen bolts for the handlebar and saddle adjustments. You can use the 4-inch wrench to work on your derailleurs and brakes, as well as to secure accessories like bottle cages, lights and carriers. The 6-inch wrench is the most practical size and consists of a long enough handle to give the cyclist of average strength the leverage required for anything. A chain tool is necessary to shorten the chain lengths to repair or install it properly. After finishing the installation or repair, you must ensure that the gears run with ease and are neither tight nor loose. A flathead screwdriver consists of a wedge-shaped flat tip that helps loosen or tighten screws with a linear or straight notch in the heads. Every cyclist needs to carry this tool. After all, it is versatile and comes in handy.
- Tool bottles: Tool bottles are storage bottles for small parts. It will fit easily in your bottle cage. So, you can use one of your bottle cages for all the bike tools and tubes you want to carry and the other one for your sports beverage. These bottles are made up of durable composite material.